Thursday, August 23, 2012

And then he was three


 
 
Noah,

 

My handsome little three year old. Happy happy birthday to you!

 

Three years ago you came into our lives and changed it all. Your Daddy and I were so young and felt so unprepared. And then we saw your face. We heard your cry. We held you in our arms. And then it was all so clear. We were meant to be together. Me, Daddy and you. We became a family and we became whole. God had this planned from the start and I am so grateful to him for that.

I realize now why mamas everywhere on their children’s birthdays say reminiscing things like “On this day X number of years ago, I was bringing you into the world.” It’s because it will always feel like it was yesterday, whether you replace that X with 3 or 33 years. Every year on this day for the rest of my life, I will relive the power and emotion of that experience.

Truly it feels like just yesterday I was holding your tiny, pink body against mine. I was delirious with love and a little shock that all of those months of anticipation and planning had come and gone so fast. You have changed everything about me, my little monster. I move and act and think differently since you were first laid in my arms. I have more purpose behind my reasons and more motivation to my actions.

 

I have watched you grow from an infant, to a baby, to a toddler in what feels like a single breath. Every new stage you keep us laughing and guessing and entertained. What a joy you are to your father and I as a son and to Aria as a role model and big brother.

 

I am so proud of your creativity and energy and the way you are already welcoming and engaging the world around you. You are so lovely in your smallness, in your brave spirit, and in the sweetness of your heart. Here’s to three years of this beautiful life, Noah David. On this very day three years past, in the bright summer afternoon, I was bringing you into the world - and it was the start of everything.

 

I can’t wait for the gift of this next year with you. and the one after that. and a lifetime of watching you become. The whole world is yours for the taking and I have no doubt that’s exactly what you’ll do.

 

I love you with my entire being,

 

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment