Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I Was a Very Strange Child


                                                                           


Most nineties kids were into Britney, NSync and the Backstreet Boys. It was the height of the pop sensation and boy bands ruled over all my friends’ ear buds. But I would go home afterschool and put in my Celine Dion tape and have a solo sing along. It’s as weird and sad as it sounds and I’m not going to try and make it sound better. I loved that nutty Canadian.

Believe it or not weird obsession had nothing to do with the Titanic craze. In fact I hated the movie. My best friend at the time tried to make me watch it all the time. Considering the fact that I had to go to his house before and after school every day, I saw that movie a lot. It didn’t grow on me either. Really it just pissed me off. In my humble eight-year-old opinion Rose was a greedy whore that could have easily slid her rich ass over a few inches to make room for the “love of her life”. But noooo, she let him drown and then cried about it like she didn’t play a part in it. Then she throws that giant rock into the ocean at the end which kills me. Every time I saw her do that I just thought about how much her kids could have sold that for.  Like I said, didn’t like the movie.

So where then did this intense devotion come from?  If it was a particular moment I do not recall it. All I know is that I listened to that tape every day until my tape player refused to open one day and I was separated from my life’s soundtrack. A sad day in the Heller household indeed.

But now thanks to the glory of Youtube I can once again indulge myself in some good old Dion balladry. Ahh, nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment